Excessive alcohol use can lead to substance abuse problems, including poor health, injuries, and legal problems. Choosing to drink in moderation can help to prevent these problems. In most cases, men can safely drink two standard drinks while women can drink one standard drink per day.
How Large is One Drink?
When two people talk about “a drink”, they may not be thinking of the same amount of alcohol. Is a 12 oz. beer one drink? How about a 40 oz. beer? The following information can help clarify how much alcohol is considered to be in one drink.
Size of a Standard Drink
According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, a standard drink is equal to the following:
- 12 oz. of regular beer (with 0.5 ounces of absolute alcohol).
- 5 oz. of table wine.
- 1.5 oz. of 80-proof distilled spirits.
The following are some tips for responsible drinking:
- Choose not to drink alcohol.
- Eat food before drinking.
- Pace your drinking.
- Keep track of how many drinks you have had.
- Set a personal limit of how many drinks you will consume.
- Choose a drink containing a lower alcohol concentration.
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with water or other non-alcoholic beverages.
Drinking and Driving
Do not drink and drive. If you are planning to drink, make sure that you are with someone whom you trust to drive you home safely.
Giving a Party
North Carolina courts will hold the host responsible for drunk-driving accidents of guests who were served beer or alcohol at his/her party. The following tips can help prevent accidents and keep everyone safe.
Tips for Hosting a Safe Party
- Have a car-key check-in to prevent guests from driving drunk.
- Serve food. Ask the guests to bring chips, veggies, sodas (no, not for chasers), etc.
- Close the bar (hide the beer) at least an hour (remember it takes an hour per drink to sober up) before the party ends so that your guests can sober up before they leave.
- Let guests know that it’s okay to choose not to drink. Offer alternative beverages such as orange juice, water, or soda. It is good that you can be yourself, be sober, and learn to play and socialize and party sober.